A tourist returns an artifact he stole from Pompeii. He said the artifact that was with him caused a disaster in his family.
Pompeii is an ancient Roman city that has been in ruins near the City of Naples and is now in the Campania region of Italy. The city was destroyed by the devastating eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79.
The ash from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius covered the city of Pompeii with all its contents, causing the city to be lost for 1,600 years before being rediscovered by accident. Since then, re-excavation of the city has revealed in incredible detail the life of a city at the height of the Roman Empire.
In this city too, thousands of bodies are perfectly preserved by volcanic ash and pumice from volcanic eruptions. Believe it or not believe in curses, people should know enough not to take ancient artifacts from this terrifying place. But not so with most tourists.
Over the years, hundreds of items have been retrieved from the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Some of the items were eventually returned years later on the basis of conscience, while others believed that the objects they took were actually cursed.
Sounds absurd, but in fact there are many tourists who return artifacts claiming to have been plagued by curses. Usually returns are accompanied by a letter of apology. Not surprisingly, Pompeii has come to have a special permanent exhibition of items returned and the regret that accompanies it.
One of them is Nicole from Canada. According to the Italian newspaper Il Messagero, he admitted to having taken mosaic tiles, pieces of marble and parts of an amphora (a two-handled pot) from Pompeii in 2005, when he visited Pompeii at the age of 21. At that time Nicole only wanted to have a unique memento that no one else had.
This Image Of A Man Preserved At Pompeii Has Gone Viral For Obvious Reasonshttps://t.co/MVlqO3xLDR
— IFLScience (@IFLScience) July 3, 2017
As quoted from IFL Science, Tuesday (9/8/2022) he brought the artifact back to Canada, and according to him, since then curse after curse began to occur.
"I picked up a 'piece of history' that had a lot of negative energy in it. In that place, people died in horrific ways, and I have picked up the pieces relating to that land of destruction," he wrote in a letter.
"Since then, bad luck has always come to me and my family. I am now 36 years old, have had breast cancer twice, and the last time ended with a double mastectomy. My family and I also have financial problems. We are good people and I don't want pass this curse on to my family or children," he said.
In the letter Nicole promised that one day she would return to Italy to apologize in person. But he first returned the items in the hope that it would remove the curse that had befallen him and his family.
Artifacts from Nicole are not the only stolen packages returned to Pompeii in recent weeks. There was also another package signed by the sender named Alastain and Kimberly containing stones. The package was accompanied by a note of regret.
"I returned the stones that my wife and I took while visiting Pompeii and Vesuvius in 2005," they wrote.
"We took them without thinking about the pain and suffering these poor souls went through during the eruption of Vesuvius and the horrific deaths they suffered. We apologize and ask for forgiveness from us for their inappropriate behavior. May their souls rest in peace," he said. both of them.